Salem, Massachusetts was founded by a group of settlers led by a Roger Conant. It arose out of a fishing village originally started in 1623-1624 and was renamed Salem in 1629 for Shalom, the Hebrew word for peace. Salem is best known for the legendary witch trials of 1692. In January of 1692, the daughter and niece of Reverend Samuel Parris of Salem Village became ill. The village doctor was called in when they failed to improve. His diagnosis of bewitchment put into motion the forces that would ultimately result in the hanging deaths of nineteen men and women. In addition, one man was crushed to death; several others died in prison, and the lives of many were irrevocably changed.
Investigation Results: While we have explored around Salem every year at Halloween for the last 10 years, we have never actually stayed there because of the sheer volume of people partying there due to the holiday and the inavailability of rooms anywhere in the city, more importantly the cool, haunted bed and breakfast places. While we have been everywhere in the city, there has been no opportunity to investigate in private/quiet due to all of the loud partying and activity there. At some point we need to go there to investigate another time of year when it’s calmer and quieter. To date nothing compares to the charm, allure, and dark history of Salem, MA.